Kilt Outfits | Complete your Scottish Heritage
Putting together a full set of kilt outfits for formal events such as a wedding can seem daunting. Figuring out what top goes with what kilt and jacket is a time-consuming endeavor, but Scottish Kilt has made this a simple process for you! We have taken the time to put together everything you need to sport your formal kilt outfit to a full-dress event, leaving you without the hassle of planning an ensemble and finding all of its pieces.
Wearing a kilt on its own is not the same as wearing a kilt outfit. The difference lies in the jacket and the accessories that you choose to wear the formal kilts for men. Often called Highlands Dress, a proper kilt outfit comes with all of the accessories, ranging from something as small as the kilt belt to the kilt hose flags to something as prominent as the kilt jacket and sporran. There are a few accessories you need to keep in mind when you are considering buying a new kilt outfit if you want to follow tradition and look your best.
The Occasions To Wear Kilt Accessories
There are actually many situations when the modern kilt accessories are appropriate.
The first is a formal event where black-tie and “white tie” attire is required and what is appropriate for each. It does not address the kilt or Scottish attire, but can be a very helpful resource for people who are less familiar with the rules of etiquette for men’s formal wear. This will include Scottish wedding and other formal gatherings.
Another time when the kilt accessories are appropriate is during Scottish heritage events such as the Highland Games and Ceilidh. These games take place all over Scotland, during the summer months, and you will see not only the competing athletes and dancers are also wearing kilts at Scottish ceilidh dance.
- The another situation to wearing a kilt is during Scottish National team sports such as football where fans become the tartan army.
- During these events, the kilt is usually combined with a casual football shirt and chunky shoes which make up the uniform of the tartan army.
Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
The Edinburgh Millitary Tattoo is one of the very best kilt occasions.
- As one of Scotland’s most famous visitor attractions, it features acts from all over the world, and is truly a world class spectacular with massed pipe bands, Scottish dancing, martial arts displays and much much more.
- So if you happen to be in Scotland during August, I strongly recommend seeing this show, and wearing your formal kilt.
National Tartan Day
- Tartan Day, it is one of the major kilt occasions, where America and Canada celebrate the strong links between their countries and Scotland.
- It is a national holiday in America, and is celebrated Tartan Day on the 6th of April.
- Many different towns and cities across both America and Canada, celebrate with massed pipe bands and many forms of Scottish culture.
- It is a chance, to recognize the outstanding achievements and contributions made by Scottish Americans to the United States.
- Every year more and more students attending graduation ceremonies, are choosing to receive their degrees dressed in their kilts.
- On one of the most important days of their college or university career, they want to dress up in their finest clothes.
- And for many this could only mean wearing their kilts, as they wish to display their Celtic heritage.
“Attending church, there are countless occasions when you can wear your kilt”
Kilt Jackets & Waistcoats
People want to wear a formal kilt outfit, it is because they are going to a formal event. If that is true, then the kilt jacket is the most important place to start. The Kilt Jackets can be chosen depending on just how formal you want to look.
Prince Charlie Kilt Jacket
Tweed Argyll Jacket
The Argyll tweed kilt jacket are the most casual of the jackets with a conventional shaping and are often made of tweed. You can choose a more casual grey tweed jacket in a style that best suits the occasion for less formal events.
Accessories to Wear With Scottish Kilt
No one’s highland wear outfit is complete without the proper kilt accessories. Accessories are usually small, and there are many that you can consider.
That can include a sporran, kilt belt, kilt buckle, hose socks and flashes, and more. The more scottish kilt accessories you have, the more options you have for dressing up.
Scottish Ghillie Shirt
- There are traditional kilt shirt, called scottish shirt and Jacobite shirt, that should be worn for formal events.
- You will need a kilt shirt to wear with the kilt outfit and to go with that, you will also need a waistcoat.
- Your tartan kilt has no pockets, you will need a sporran. The scottish sporran is the pouch that attaches to your kilt using either a chain or a leather strap tucked through the metal loops often found on the sides of the kilts.
- You can get sporrans that are as dressed up or dressed down as you need them to be.
Kilt Belt & Buckles
Belts and buckles are not always necessary. These accessories are usually only required when a waistcoat is not part of the outfit.
The kilt belt buckles are versatile and can be uniquely detailed with Scottish symbols or Celtic knots.
Kilt Pins & Brooch
Tartan Necktie & Bow tie
- You will want to find the right Tartan Necktie & bow tie, and ideally, your dress shirt will have a winged collar because presently, those seem to be the most popular.
- These tartan ties are worn for the very casual situations. This is affordable and cheap kilt accessory for your traditional kilt set.
Kilt Hose & Flashes
- The socks worn with the kilt are called kilt hose and are made from wool. These long and thick kilt hose (socks) were traditionally cream and worn with formal kilts.
- Kilt flashes can be bought in solid colors or patterns to match the kilt tartan. The flashes are worn on the outside of the calf with a garter hidden under the fold of the socks.
- Kilt hose is important, and black kilt sock flashes are just as important to put the finishing touches on the look.
Scottish Ghillie Brouges
Scottish Kilt shoes are seen as the only option when wearing a kilt to a formal event and they can be a nightmare.
These ghillie shoes are made from leather with a metal insert in the heel and laces that go halfway up the calf.
Kilt shoes and kilt hats will finish off the look from top to bottom, and then you are all set.
Clothes Make the Man
- We offer kilt outfit in several styles depending on the type of event you’ve got planned. Wear your Kilt With Kilt Accessories.
- We hope that our guide lifts the pressure a bit and serves you well in your search. The event you will attend will be a hit if you buy kilt and accessories from us.
- Each product includes all the gear you’ll need in one place, at a discount!